Does the weight of the door affect whether StepNpull® will work or not?
The weight of the door is not a factor but rather the amount of resistance the door closer provides. The door closer is the device mounted at the top of the door and is responsible for controlling how much effort is required to open the door. If an interior door closer resistance is adjusted to the ADA standard of 5 pounds or less, then the user will be able to easily open the door with their foot using StepNpull®. If, however, an excessive amount of effort is required to open the door, the door closer resistance should be reduced to the minimum amount practical.
How do I use the StepNpull®?
People are accustomed to opening a door with their hands so the first couple of times may feel a bit awkward. Most users adapt quickly and then use the StepNpull® every time.
- As you approach the door, position your body as though you were going to use the door handle.
- If you would use your left hand to pull the door handle then the left foot will be used. If you would use your right hand to pull the door handle then the right foot will be used.
- Place your foot on the top of the StepNpull® , press down just enough to gain traction.
- Pull your foot and leg back as though you were taking a step. Simply step and pull.
- Typically enough door momentum will be gained to actually swing the door open and out of your way.
- Depending on your shoe type, you may want to try different shoe angles or positions in order to find the one that yields the most grip.
Is StepNpull® ADA compliant?
Yes. On two different occasions we contacted the US DOL about StepNpull® and asked if it was ADA compliant. In both instances they stated that StepNpull® is ADA compliant because it doesn’t interfere with ingress or egress. In Chapter 4 of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, it states: “404.2.10 Door and Gate Surfaces. Swinging door and gate surfaces within 10 inches (255 mm) of the finish floor or ground measured vertically shall have a smooth surface on the push side extending the full width of the door or gate. Parts creating horizontal or vertical joints in these surfaces shall be within 1/16 inch (1.6 mm) of the same plane as the other. Cavities created by added kick plates shall be capped.” Notice that the 10 inches of vertically smooth surface is on the push side of the door not the pull side. StepNpull is installed on the pull side of the door.
Will I lose my balance while using the StepNpull®?
Balance is easily maintained because the StepNpull® is mounted as low as possible on the door. This allows the user to remain balanced and in control.
Where is StepNpull® manufactured?
StepNpull® is proudly made in the USA!
Can children and the elderly use StepNpull®?
Yes depending, of course, on the physical size of the child and the physical condition of the older person desiring to use the StepNpull®.
How long does it take to install a StepNpull® and what are the tools required for installation?
We recommend using an electric screwdriver when installing on a solid wood door although a regular screwdriver will work. A drill is mandatory when installing on a metal door. With the proper tools, installation typically takes less than 5 minutes per door.
What is included with my StepNpull® purchase?
StepNpulls® are priced individually and include the following:
- One StepNpull® Door Opener
- Required mounting screws
- Installation Instructions
- One Door Decal
Do you offer a money back guarantee?
Yes. If you are not fully satisfied with your StepNpull® purchase, you may return it within 30 days for a full refund.
Does StepNpull® have a warranty?
Yes. StepNpull® comes with a 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects.
Is the StepNpull® durable and mounted securely?
The StepNpull® is very strong. It’s made from sturdy T6 aluminum. Each bracket comes standard with 3 number 12 mounting screws.
Do you have the StepNpull® mounting instructions available for download?
The StepNpull® mounting instructions document can be downloaded by clicking here: Installation Instructions
What are the StepNpull® technical specifications?
Below are the StepNpull technical specifications:
- Width: 5″
- Height: 1.5″
- Depth: 3″
- Weight with mounting hardware: 1/2 pound
- Material: T6 aluminum with 70% recycled aluminum
- Finish: Powder coat
- Color: Silver (chrome), Copper Vein, Gold Vein
- Other: Rugged bumpers on the face of the StepNpull for wall contact where applicable. Informational door stickers (2 per unit) are included.
- Mounting: StepNpull mounts to the bottom corner of a commercial latch less metal or wood door via 3 mounting screws. The mounting hardware includes 3 #12 combo (metal or wood) screws and 1 sexed (barrel) bolt which goes completely thru the door. StepNpull can be mounted on a wooden door using just the screws but we highly recommend using the sexed bolt in the center hole instead of a screw. On metal doors the sexed bolt must be used in the center hole.